Archive | June, 2013

676 Penniman Ave – Wilcox House

27 Jun

WilcoxHome

676 Penniman Avenue. Built in 1901 by William (Phil) Markham, Owner of the Markham Air Rifle Factory which still stands at 340 N. Main St. Today this home still bares a Penniman address although the street no longer crosses the front of this home. This Iconic Queen Ann Style fixture of downtown Plymouth was originally built as a home for Markham’s young mistress, Blanche Shortman. Markham’s Wife Carrie refused to divorce because of her strong Christian beliefs. Carrie passed away in 1910 and Markham married his mistress Blanche. These actions were met with outrage by the locals that the newlyweds were shunned. Blanche could hardly bare the public persecution that the decision was made to leave town and move out West. In 1911 Markham placed an ad in the “Plymouth Mail” stating the sale of his home. The home was purchased by George Wilcox. This home was owned by the Wilcox family for nearly 90 years. Today this home is being used for commercial purposes.

Visit this page for more historical info:  http://www.wilcoxfoundation.org/history-of-the-wilcox-house.html

Wilcox70s

873 N. Mill Street

27 Jun

 

Image

873 N. Mill St. Built in 1913, this home was ordered through Sears Roebuck & Co. by Frank Pierce. Frank was the manager of the Plymouth United Savings bank branch located on Liberty St. In 1918 Frank’s Grandson Russell Kirk was born here in his home. Russell Kirk was an Author, Historian, & Literary Critic who is known as the father of modern-day conservatism. In his book “The Sword of Imagination” Russel describes growing up in Plymouth and how it impacted his way of thinking.

Below is a photo of Russell Kirk with President Reagan.

russellkirkwithrreagan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Kirk

 

41358 Ann Arbor Trail

27 Jun

41358 Ann Arbor Trail, once home to Ambrose Burr (one of Plymouth’s 1st Pioneers) was built around 1845. The home was remodeled in 1930 by Burt Tomlinson. The exterior bares little resemblance to it’s original clapboards & shutters appearance. *House under renovations at the time of photo

Image

587 West Ann Arbor Trail

27 Jun

587 W. Ann Arbor Trail. Built in 1928. This building was purchased by Dean Saxton about 1937 and has been a fixture in Plymouth since then. The addition was added in the late 40’s. Saxton’s sold commercial & residential lawn care equipment and tools. It is unfortunate to see the doors close 10/31/2012. Today this property is owned by the Plymouth Downtown Development Authority.

Image

39505 East Ann Arbor Trail

27 Jun

39505 East Ann Arbor Trail. Built in the 1860’s. Behind the shroud of trees there is a beautiful farm house begging to be noticed. This home was once owned by Harry Ayers who had raised Cattle and even had an Orchard. He named this “Hope Farm”.

Image

Haggerty Comfort Station

27 Jun

Built in 1937, located on Hines Drive @ Haggerty Rd. This building is one of the very first concepts of a roadside public rest area in the US. It has restrooms and the center was used for information & concessions.  http://www.co.wayne.mi.us/dps/dps_parks_resources_haggerty.htm

Image

550 N. Holbrook – Starkweather School

27 Jun

550 N. Holbrook. Starkweather School built in 1927. Named after Plymouth’s first born settler child, George Anson Starkweather who once served as a Schoolteacher in addition to being a prominent figure in Plymouth’s history.

Image