Tag Archives: Daisy Air Rifle

1477 W. Ann Arbor Trail

30 Jul

1477A2Trl

1477 W. Ann Arbor Trail was built in 1938 by Cass & Margaret Hough. Their first home was actually the first home built in the Hough Park neighborhood (located at 1395 Park Place). When this Georgian Colonial was built, it was constructed to the satisfaction of wife Margaret who loved many homes in New England and this home shares many attributes of some of her favorite houses. At the time of construction, Cass was the President of the Daisy Air Rifle factory and was a third generation Hough family member to serve as an executive for the company. An interesting note about the stone wall that sits at the perimeter of the property is the fact that Cass built the wall in 1920 well before the home was built.

In 1941 the Detroit News (newspaper) featured this home in an article touting its elegance and beauty. In 1955 Cass and Margaret had split up. Margaret continued to live here for another ten years. In 1965 a couple happen to be driving through town and came to a stop and got out of their vehicle to admire this home. A woman by the name of Janet Warrick insisted to her husband Chip that they get out and speak to the owner. The couple met with Margaret and stated that if she would consider selling her home to please contact them. Margaret contacted them not long after their meeting and agreed to sell her home to the eager couple. In 1965 this 3700 SQFT, 5 Bedroom, 4.5 bath home was sold to the Warricks. They loved everything about this home so much that it was virtually left “untouched” until 2010 when the home was sold to new owners.

Cass Hough not only served as the President of Daisy but was also a war hero that served as a pilot during WWII and is featured in the Aviation Hall of Fame. Cass passed away at his Florida home in 1990 and was laid to rest here in Plymouth at the Riverside Cemetery.

CHough1949

Cass Hough 1949 presenting awards

 

ItsADaisy

“It’s a Daisy!” is the most complete published book about the history of Daisy written by Cass Hough in 1976.

1477AnnArborTrl

1477 W. Ann Arbor Trail in the winter.

1411 W. Ann Arbor Trail

29 Jul

1141WAnnArborTrl.JPG

1411 W. Ann Arbor Trail was built in 1918 by Edward C. Hough. This was the home of Ed & Louise (Sheffield) Hough from 1918-1959. They had given their estate the name of “The Elms”. Edward Hough was the son of Lewis C. Hough who was an original founder of the Plymouth Iron Windmill Company which eventually became the Daisy Air Rifle Company. Ed joined the business in 1893 as the Treasurer for the company.  In later years, Ed’s Son Cass Hough would go on to become the President of Daisy. Both Edward & Louise Hough have been laid to rest at the Riverside Cemetery.  The Hough family played a significant role in the history of Plymouth and their legacy will continue to live on for many years to come.

This home still retains all of its original elements including the original carriage port on the West side of the home and the 2-story carriage house located behind the home. This home still has an unpaved driveway which makes it easy to look at the home and picture yourself stepping back into time and looking at the grandeur of this home as if it were still the early 1900s.

Below is a photo of the executive team that operated the Daisy Air Rifle Company in 1895. The Team included Lewis C. Hough, Edward Hough, Charles H. Bennett, George W. Hunter, and Alfred W. Chaffee

The-Original-Team_small

View of Ann Arbor Trail in 1930. The Hough home sits on the right of the photo:

A2Trl1930

1395 Park Place

8 Jan

1395parkplace

1395 Park Place. Built by Cass Sheffield Hough in 1927. This was the first home built in the Hough Park neighborhood and was the home of Cass and his first wife Margaret. Cass was born in 1904 here in Plymouth and was the Grandson of Lewis Cass Hough (an original founder of Daisy Air Rifle Co).  At an early age Cass was very interested in aircrafts and became one of the earliest licensed pilots in Michigan in the 1920s. He graduated from the Culver Military Academy in 1921 and then graduated from the University of Michigan in 1925. Cass went to work as the Sales Manager of Daisy Air Rifles. In 1939 Cass joined the US Army Air Corps. During World War II he flew regular missions escorting bombers over Europe and was assigned by Gen. Jimmy Doolittle to head a unit to solve operational problems. The group of talented pilots developed lightweight external fuel tanks, the P-38 Droop Snoot, bomb sight, 2,000-pound bombs and rocket-propelled bombs to penetrate German submarine pens. Chuck Yeager is better-known for being the first man to break the sound barrier in level flight in 1947, but Hough and perhaps some others broke it much earlier during dives.

After WWII, Hough rose to chairman of Daisy Manufacturing and served as member, acting director, and chairman of Michigan Aeronautics Commission. Today Col. Cass Hough is also enshrined in the Aviation Hall of Fame. In 1976 Cass authored the book “It’s a Daisy” telling the detailed story of the Daisy Air Rifle Company. Mr. Hough passed away in 1990 at his Florida home but is forever resting in peace here in Plymouth at the Riverside Cemetery. We are proud to have his well preserved home as a part of our great community of Plymouth.

Below is a photo of Cass Hough as a pilot during World War II and a photo of Cass in 1950 at his desk serving as President of the Daisy Air Rifle Company here in Plymouth.

casshoughwwiicass1950

311 Hamilton Street

11 Apr

Hamilton

311 Hamilton Street. Built in 1878. Originally the home of Clarence Hamilton. Hamilton is known for building the first all metal air rifle and was one of the people who greatly influenced the history of Plymouth. Mr. Hamilton was an Inventor, an Engineer and businessman. Hamilton was the co-founder of the Plymouth Iron Windmill Company which became the Daisy Air Rifle Company by his urging and convinced the leadership to get into making BB Guns and the rest was history! Hamilton was the co-founder of Daisy, the Plymouth Air Rifle Company and the Hamilton Rifle Company. This street was once called Depot Street and was later renamed Hamilton Street in his honor.

186-192 N. Main Street

27 Jun

186-192 N. Main Street. Built 1905 in the Queen Anne style called Shingle. This double house was owned by Charles Bennett (President: Daisy Air Rifle Co.) but was actually home to his Father Lewis on one side and his Brother Fred on the other side. This home is now used for commercial purposes.

Image

Daisy Air Rifle Factory on Union Street

26 Jun

This is all that remains of the original Daisy Air Rifle Company (known for the Red Ryder BB Gun of ” A Christmas Story” fame). This wall sits at the North end of Union St.Learn more at:http://www.daisy.com/history

Update Novemeber 2013: After 131 years of standing tall on Union Street, this final piece of the Daisy Factory was demolished

ImageImage