Archive | Starkweather St RSS feed for this section

584 Starkweather St

5 Feb

584Starkweather

584 Starkweather Street was built circa 1882 and has been serving Lower Town Plymouth as a marketplace for over 125 years. This 2 story commercial flat was originally designed to serve as a market on the first level while the 2nd level was designed to house the shop keeper/owner. From 1909-1981 records show that this building was owned by Henry Fisher (Fisher Estate).  This location was most known as Bill’s market for several years and most recently Old Village Market and Plymouth Fish Seafood Market. Today this building has been renovated and now serves as the Honey Hole Diner. Whether dining in or ordering from the carry-out menu, this place offers some great food and a great selection of beverages and fresh baked items on the “coffee shop” side. Restaurant web site: www.HoneyHoleDiner.com

When this building was renovated in 2017, the owners of the diner decided to have the North & South exterior walls painted with some very distinctive Art work (murals) which some people love and some don’t. We are simply pleased with seeing that this part of Plymouth history is being preserved and well cared for.

 

412 Starkweather St

8 Aug

412Starkweather

412 Starkweather St. Built Circa 1880. This home was built by George Starkweather and was then deeded to his Mother-In-Law Mary Davis. In earlier years, Mary was active in the underground railroad and was one of the founding members of the Plymouth WCTU (Women’s Christian Temperance Union). Mary was the Foster Mother of Amelia Heywood who married George Starkweather in 1865. After the passing of Mary Davis, the home was deeded to Amelia Starkweather. In 1973 this home was purchased by Robert (Bob) Puckett who kept this home well preserved and was used as the home of Puckett Plumbing, Heating & Cooling. Bob Puckett sadly passed in November of 2015. As of May of 2017 the home is being renovated by its new owners and will be used for both commercial and residential purposes. We are glad to see that this home will continue to be a great part of our Plymouth history for years to come.

MarySeelyDavis

Historic Photo of Mary Davis from the Daniel Sabo Collection

941 Starkweather Street

29 Nov

Image

941 Starkweather St. Built circa 1873. This Italianate Style Brick house was originally the home of Henry Hudson. This home later became a hotel that serviced the patrons using the Plymouth Rail Road Station which was in close walking distance. This home once served as the Purdy House Hotel and today serves as the Marquette Apartments.

761 Starkweather Street

8 Nov

Image

Built Circa 1875 by Peter Gayde. Mr Gayde was a well known business owner who was also an elected official of Plymouth. When Peter immigrated to Plymouth he was instrumental in forming the German Lutheran Church in Old Village. Peter’s store was located in the Starkweather Building located on Liberty Street. When Peter passed away in 1902 his Sons continued to operated his store under the name of Gayde Brothers Groceries.

472 Starkweather

11 Oct

Image

 

Built in 1892 by George Peterhaus. This is an example of the architect style called “Second Empire” At the time of this photo this home had just sold to new owners and is now seeing new updates.

900 Starkweather – Plymouth Train Depot

26 Jun

900 Starkweather. Built in 1871. Plymouth’s 1st train depot. This depot was visited by our Country’s 41st President, George H.W. Bush. Today it’s used for commercial purposes as it’s sits along the Railroad tracks watching trains pass by everyday.  http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Stations/CountyStations/WayneStations/PlymouthMI.htm

Image

 

PlymouthDepotHist

711 Starkweather St

26 Jun

711starkweatherst

711 Starkweather. Built in 1875. This was the home of George Anson Starkweather who was the first settler child born in Plymouth. Starweather was a Plymouth merchant, schoolteacher, lawyer, farmer, greenhouse owner, banker, he served as Plymouth Township supervisor and also as Plymouth Village President, he was a philanthropist, a leading community member and firm believer in education who, during the 1850s, served one term in the Michigan Legislator, representing Plymouth. Mr. Starkweather was also very instrumental in bringing the Rail Roads to Plymouth. Desendence of George Starkweather are still active in Plymouth today.

Below is a photo of George Starkweather Circa 1856:

geostarkweathercirca1856

Also check out:  http://detroit1701.org/Starkweather%20Residence.html