Archive | October, 2016

876 N. Mill Street

18 Oct

 

876nmill

876 N. Mill Street. Built Circa 1887┬áby George and Eva Streng who were German Immigrants. The Streng family were involved in the hospitality business here in Plymouth and owned the Hotel which used to be right next door (North side). In 1924 this home and the hotel next door were purchased by Frank Sambrone and stayed in the Sambrone family for several years. The Hotel Victor was later known as the Anderine Hotel, The Nelson Hotel and the Old village Inn. The hotel burned down in the 1980’s. This historic home is still standing strong and adds to the charm of old village. This home has most recently served as a multi-family home (3 apartments). We look forward to see this home continue to be a great part of our community.

11808 Haggerty Road

3 Oct

11808haggerty

11808 Haggerty Rd. Built Circa 1855. This home sits at the corner of Haggerty and Gilbert Street. When the current owner purchased this home, the real estate agent told him that the house was built around 1910. After doing some research, we come to find that this house was built in the Mid 1800’s and was the farmstead of Gilbert M. Shattuck and his wife Mary. The farm used to extend from Ann Arbor Trail on the South Side to Plymouth Rd on the North Side and from Haggerty Rd on the West Side to Francis Ave on the East Side (where Miller Park is). This house blends into the row of homes on Haggerty and is hard to tell that it’s been sitting there longer than any other home in that area. We were also able to verify its approximate age based on dated materials discovered by a previous owner when remodelling. When you look closely at the photo, you can see the field stone foundation which is also visible in the basement where there are also signs of hewed timbers. Just another neat piece of Plymouth History!