Tag Archives: Starkweather

584 Starkweather St

5 Feb

584Starkweather

584 Starkweather Street was built circa 1882 and has been serving Lower Town Plymouth as a marketplace for over 125 years. This 2 story commercial flat was originally designed to serve as a market on the first level while the 2nd level was designed to house the shop keeper/owner. From 1909-1981 records show that this building was owned by Henry Fisher (Fisher Estate).  This location was most known as Bill’s market for several years and most recently Old Village Market and Plymouth Fish Seafood Market. Today this building has been renovated and now serves as the Honey Hole Diner. Whether dining in or ordering from the carry-out menu, this place offers some great food and a great selection of beverages and fresh baked items on the “coffee shop” side. Restaurant web site: www.HoneyHoleDiner.com

When this building was renovated in 2017, the owners of the diner decided to have the North & South exterior walls painted with some very distinctive Art work (murals) which some people love and some don’t. We are simply pleased with seeing that this part of Plymouth history is being preserved and well cared for.

 

195 Liberty Street

15 Jan

195liberty

195 W Liberty St. Built in 1871. This is the Starkweather building built by George Starkweather. This was the first commercial building built on Liberty St. Starkweather was very instrumental in bringing the Rail Roads to Plymouth and in anticipation of the business that the RR lines would bring to Plymouth, he actually carved Liberty Street through his own property and built this structure to house his Dry Goods store. After building his store, he lived upstairs with his family until 1875 when he built his house diagonally across the street (711 Starkweather) which still stands today. In addition to his Dry Goods store, Peter Gayde’s Grocery was also in this building. Gayde and Starkweather were very good friends, good enough to where Peter Gayde built his home right next door to the Starkweather home. Although the Starkweather building has served as home to a number of businesses through the years, since 2003 this has been the home of Hermann’s Olde Town Grille. This structure has been so well preserved that we definitely recommend paying a visit to Hermann’s to dine and/or enjoy spirits in the ambiance of a great piece of Plymouth history. Check Hermann’s website at:  www.HermannsOTG.com

Below is a historic photo of the Starkweather building circa 1905 courtesy of the Plymouth Historical Museum:

libertyst

412 Starkweather St

8 Aug

412Starkweather

412 Starkweather St. Built Circa 1880. This home was built by George Starkweather and was then deeded to his Mother-In-Law Mary Davis. In earlier years, Mary was active in the underground railroad and was one of the founding members of the Plymouth WCTU (Women’s Christian Temperance Union). Mary was the Foster Mother of Amelia Heywood who married George Starkweather in 1865. After the passing of Mary Davis, the home was deeded to Amelia Starkweather. In 1973 this home was purchased by Robert (Bob) Puckett who kept this home well preserved and was used as the home of Puckett Plumbing, Heating & Cooling. Bob Puckett sadly passed in November of 2015. As of May of 2017 the home is being renovated by its new owners and will be used for both commercial and residential purposes. We are glad to see that this home will continue to be a great part of our Plymouth history for years to come.

MarySeelyDavis

Historic Photo of Mary Davis from the Daniel Sabo Collection

472 Starkweather

11 Oct

Image

 

Built in 1892 by George Peterhaus. This is an example of the architect style called “Second Empire” At the time of this photo this home had just sold to new owners and is now seeing new updates.

550 N. Holbrook – Starkweather School

27 Jun

550 N. Holbrook. Starkweather School built in 1927. Named after Plymouth’s first born settler child, George Anson Starkweather who once served as a Schoolteacher in addition to being a prominent figure in Plymouth’s history.

Image

557 N. Mill Street

27 Jun

557 North Mill St. Originally the home of William & Keziah Starkweather. Starkweather was one of Plymouth’s first pioneers. His first home was built near the corner of Main St & Ann Arbor Trail. This Home was built circa 1835.

Image

711 Starkweather St

26 Jun

711starkweatherst

711 Starkweather. Built in 1875. This was the home of George Anson Starkweather who was the first settler child born in Plymouth. Starweather was a Plymouth merchant, schoolteacher, lawyer, farmer, greenhouse owner, banker, he served as Plymouth Township supervisor and also as Plymouth Village President, he was a philanthropist, a leading community member and firm believer in education who, during the 1850s, served one term in the Michigan Legislator, representing Plymouth. Mr. Starkweather was also very instrumental in bringing the Rail Roads to Plymouth. Desendence of George Starkweather are still active in Plymouth today.

Below is a photo of George Starkweather Circa 1856:

geostarkweathercirca1856

Also check out:  http://detroit1701.org/Starkweather%20Residence.html