Archive | June, 2013

921 Church Street

26 Jun

921 Church St. Built in 1841 by Peter Fralick originally as a harness shop, it became a residence sometime within 20 yrs. As a residence, this structure has been in 3 locations! In 1923 when it was located at 968 Penniman it was turned around to its current location on Church St.

Image

900 Starkweather – Plymouth Train Depot

26 Jun

900 Starkweather. Built in 1871. Plymouth’s 1st train depot. This depot was visited by our Country’s 41st President, George H.W. Bush. Today it’s used for commercial purposes as it’s sits along the Railroad tracks watching trains pass by everyday.  http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Stations/CountyStations/WayneStations/PlymouthMI.htm

Image

 

PlymouthDepotHist

187 Adams Street

26 Jun

187 Adams St. Built in 1834. Known as the “Pumpkin Hill House” a name given by  a previous owner (Sandra Richards) that had a birthday of Oct 31 and had also claimed to be a practicing Witch. Yes, we said Witch. The home was in still in its primitive condition until the current owners rescued this home and brought it into the 21st century. This house still has original hand hewed timbers and others signs of its earlier years. Today this house is “hands down” a wonderful example of how a historic home can be saved and made into an excellent modern home. The painstakingly long hours and effort put into this home will keep it a wonderful part of our community for many years to come. Today this home is also occupied by a black cat named “Pumpkin”. (See Below)

187adamsstreet

Below is an old photograph taken circa 1982 before it was remodeled.

pumpkinhill1970s0001    pumpkincat

Old house photo and picture of Pumpkin courtesy of Patricia Malcolm.

218 S. Main Street

26 Jun

Image

218 S. Main. Built 1893. Originally the home of Thomas Patterson, It also served as the Plymouth Hospital from 1932 – 1966. It’s now used for commercial purposes.

932 Penniman Ave

26 Jun

932Penniman

932 Penniman. Built in 1903, Once the home of Dr & Mrs Harrison Nichols.  now serves as top notch Bed & Breakfast. http://www.bbonline.com/united-states/michigan/plymouth/penniman.html  http://www.facebook.com/pages/932-Penniman-A-Bed-and-Breakfast/111883922180962?sk=info

1655 Cassady Place Drive

26 Jun

1655 Cassady (formerly 44622 N. Territorial) Built in 1875 Originally the home of Marcus Miller, later was sold to the Cassady Family & is now the focal point of the Cassady townhouses built in 2002.Image

1160 Penniman Ave

26 Jun

Image

1160 Penniman. Built circa 1840 was originally the home of Senator Ebenezer J. Penniman, he was the first Plymouth citizen elected to the U.S. Congress. Penniman was in business as a dry-goods merchant here in Plymouth, and served as the dry-goods merchant supervisor of Plymouth Township. In 1851, he was elected as a Whig to the Thirty-second Congress, serving until 1853.He was a member of the convention that met under the oaks at Jackson, Michigan, July 6, 1854, at the organization of the Republican party in Michigan and was instrumental in getting our first Republican candidate (Abraham Lincoln) voted into office.  Penniman also served as president of the First National Bank of Plymouth. Ebenezer passed away in 1890 and was buried in the Riverside cemetery here in Plymouth. After Ebenezer’s passing, this home was deeded to his daughter Katherine (Penniman) Allen  who continued to live in this home with husband William Allen. Like her father, Kate also ventured into the business world and was well-known for owning the Penn-Allen Theaters located in Plymouth and Northville. This home now serves as offices for Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church.

Below is an image of Ebenezer Penniman and a link to wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebenezer_J._Penniman

ejpenniman

 

711 Starkweather St

26 Jun

711starkweatherst

711 Starkweather. Built in 1875. This was the home of George Anson Starkweather who was the first settler child born in Plymouth. Starweather was a Plymouth merchant, schoolteacher, lawyer, farmer, greenhouse owner, banker, he served as Plymouth Township supervisor and also as Plymouth Village President, he was a philanthropist, a leading community member and firm believer in education who, during the 1850s, served one term in the Michigan Legislator, representing Plymouth. Mr. Starkweather was also very instrumental in bringing the Rail Roads to Plymouth. Desendence of George Starkweather are still active in Plymouth today.

Below is a photo of George Starkweather Circa 1856:

geostarkweathercirca1856

Also check out:  http://detroit1701.org/Starkweather%20Residence.html

 

46255 North Territorial Rd

26 Jun

46255 N. Territorial Rd. The John Tibbits Farmstead built prior to 1827. Plymouth’s 1st town meeting was held in the barn that still sits on the property. John Tibbitts who played a signifcant role in Plymouth’s history was laid to rest in the Shearers Cemetery which is walking distance of this home.http://detroit1701.org/Tibbitts%20Farmstead.htmlImage

760 Penniman Ave – Penn Theatre

26 Jun

Image

HistoricPenn

PENN Theatre. Sitting directly across from Kellogg Park at 760 Penniman. Built in 1941, the doors opened 3 days before the attack on Pearl Harbor. This Plymouth landmark is home to thousands of memories for many that live in the area. Watching a movie here is a must. For Showtimes and more history visit:http://www.penntheatre.org/history.html

Daisy Air Rifle Factory on Union Street

26 Jun

This is all that remains of the original Daisy Air Rifle Company (known for the Red Ryder BB Gun of ” A Christmas Story” fame). This wall sits at the North end of Union St.Learn more at:http://www.daisy.com/history

Update Novemeber 2013: After 131 years of standing tall on Union Street, this final piece of the Daisy Factory was demolished

ImageImage

 14973 Northville Road, Ford Phoenix Mill Plant

26 Jun

14973 Northville Rd. Built in 1922 by Ford Motor Company is a 2 story structure that was designed by Albert Kahn. This plant was part of Ford Motor Company’s Village Industries that Henry Ford started in 1918. This structure originally had a hydro-powered generator that provided electricity for the factory and was driven by a part of the lower Rouge River.  At one time this factory had only women workers (with the exception of the Plant Manager). This was the first known factory in the United States to pay women the same wage as men. This factory once made resistors and switches that supplied the Auto Giant. At one time it was proposed to have this location become a Women’s labor Museum but the idea never evolved due to a lack of funding. Ford donated this plant to Wayne County and was used for many years as a storage site for Wayne County Parks.  The following link has more information about this building: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Mill

Below is a photo of the Phoenix Mill Plant from Northville Road and a photo of the back side of the building taken from Hines Drive.

ImageImage

Below is a historic view of the current structure (left) and a historic photo of the original Phoenix Mill (right) which once stood on this same spot. The original Mill burned down.

Phoenix MillHistoricPhoenixMill

Below is a photo of women at work inside the factory. Image from TheHenryFord.org

THF93707

Ford/Plymouth Mill Plant on Wilcox Rd @ Hines Drive

26 Jun

PlymouthMillHines Drive & Wilcox Rd. Henry Ford had this structure built in 1920. At one time this was the site of the Plymouth Flour Mill which eventually became Wilcox Mill. This property is now owned by Wayne County and is used for storage.

A view of the factory from the 1920s:

Learn more at:  http://www.detroit1701.org/Plymouth%20Mill.html

128 S. Union St

22 Jun

Image

128 S. Union. Built in the spring of 1900 by Don Kelly. Don and his wife Amy adorned this home with stained glass windows, a hand crafted wood staircase & trim. It no longer has it’s original gingerbread that decorated the exterior but you can see it still has stained glass. This home was sold to Henry & Maude Steinmetz in 1911, they lived here for some 40 years. Henry Steinmetz worked for the Pere Marquette Railroad which became the C&O which has become a part of today’s CSX railways.

280 N. Main Street – Bode’s Corned Beef House

21 Jun

Image

280 N. Main Street. Built in 1868 by E. Gottlieb Bode who was an immigrant born in Germany in 1821. Mr Bode originally built this as Bode’s Hotel in anticipation for the Railroads which came shortly after the hotel was constructed. When the Railroads came, this hotel was already standing, sitting along the side of the tracks ready to accommodate passengers who were traveling by steam engine. Having also served as a home, a place of worship, and a boarding house, in 1959 it was opened as Bode’s Corned Beef House which many of us can still enjoy today. Gottlieb and his wife are both buried at Plymouth’s Riverside cemetery.

Historic photo of Gottlieb with Wife Mary (Minnie):

GottleibMaryBode

E. Gottlieb & Mary Bode