Tag Archives: 5 Mile Rd

44045 Five Mile Rd ~ St. John’s

3 May

StJohns

44045 Five Mile Rd. Built in 1948. St. Johns Provincial Catholic Seminary. This was built as the major seminary in Michigan by the bishops of the state under the leadership of Edward Cardinal Mooney. At the time, there were not enough seminaries in the Midwest and the bishops decided to establish a major seminary, a designation that reflects the institution conferring graduate degrees.

St. John’s provided graduate-level theological education and spiritual formation for diocesan priesthood candidates from the dioceses of Detroit, Lansing, Grand Rapids, Saginaw, Gaylord, Kalamazoo, and Marquette.

The Archdiocese of Detroit owns the buildings and land at St. John’s (approximately 200 acres) except for the hotel building, which is owned by a private investor.

Under a contract with the Archdiocese, the Troy, Michigan-based Hotel Investment Services Inc. (HIS) operates the hotel, conference center, and golf course. Carl’s Golfland has operated the driving range and golf store since 2000.

No archdiocesan funds were used to construct The Inn at St. John’s, which is connected to the northeast side of the St. John’s Conference Center and opened in January 2006 as part of the St. John’s Golf & Conference Center. The conference center is open to the public for events such as Weddings, Conferences, Banquets, etc.

Each year the Inn at St. John’s also attracts national and international visitors for the Concourse d’Elegance of America

http://www.stjohnsgolfconference.com/our-history/index.cfm

DeHoCo Silos at the corner of Ridge and 5 Mile Roads

27 Jun

Corner of 5 Mile & Ridge Road. Built in 1920. This is one of the most visible landmarks that stands at the North West edge of Plymouth. It’s nickname is “DeHoCo” which stands for the Detroit House of Corrections. This was actually part of a working prison farm. A wood structure once adorned the front of these silos. This was used until 1931 when the prison was built down the street.

UPDATE: As of Friday, August 30th, 2019 this structure has been demolished and is no longer standing.

Image