Tag Archives: Plymouth

1087 N Mill Street

21 Oct

1087NMillSt

1087 N Mill Street. Built in 1852 as a Toll House for the Plymouth Plank Road. In 1850 a group came together and commissioned the construction of the Plymouth Plank road to connect this area directly to Detroit. The location here in Plymouth was Toll Gate #4. The Toll gate keeper actually lived in this home with his family. The original structure was a square and the addition to the left was added years later. In 1872 it was voted to “close down” the Plank Road and it simply became what we know today as Plymouth Road. This toll house originally stood at the corner of Plymouth Rd and Mill Street. In 1951 this home was purchased by the Clinansmith family who relocated it just North to 1087 N Mill Street near Wilcox Rd. Today this home is still inhabited by a member of the Clinansmith family who is proud of its unique history.

Plymouth’s Historic Roundhouse Remains

15 Oct

DSC00121

Plymouth’s historic Roundhouse Remains. Built in 1921 by the Pere Marquette Railroad. Plymouth is one of the few communities that actually has both a North/South and East/West set of Railroad lines running through it. In the late 1800s and early 1900s Plymouth was a very busy Railroad community not only with the Train traffic but also many local residents worked for the Railroad. There have been 2 prior roundhouses built before 1921 that were razed several years ago. The location where the tracks intersect with each other is referred to by many as a Diamond. In 1921 the Pere Marquette Railroad built a 15 stall roundhouse at the North East quadrant of the diamond (where Pearl Street in Old Village comes to an end). The prior roundhouse once sat at the South West quadrant of the diamond (where Junction Street comes to an end). In 1990 it was reported that the 15 stall roundhouse had been demolished and many people in our community have thought it was completely gone forever. We have discovered that a piece of that 15 stall roundhouse still stands. Please keep in mind that this structure is NOT on public property therefore is punishable with a fine up to $5000 by CSX Railroad if you are caught on the property where this building stands.

Below (left) is a photo of the Pere Marquette 15 stall roundhouse. The smaller photo on the right is of the older Roundhouse that once stood at the South West quadrant of the RR intersection.

PereMarquetteRoundhousePlymouth12115604_10207322470557000_5191869807807494713_n

412 Starkweather St

8 Aug

412Starkweather

412 Starkweather St. Built Circa 1880. This home was built by George Starkweather and was then deeded to his Mother-In-Law Mary Davis. In earlier years, Mary was active in the underground railroad and was one of the founding members of the Plymouth WCTU (Women’s Christian Temperance Union). Mary was the Foster Mother of Amelia Heywood who married George Starkweather in 1865. After the passing of Mary Davis, the home was deeded to Amelia Starkweather. In 1973 this home was purchased by Robert (Bob) Puckett who kept this home well preserved and was used as the home of Puckett Plumbing, Heating & Cooling. Bob Puckett sadly passed in November of 2015. As of May of 2017 the home is being renovated by its new owners and will be used for both commercial and residential purposes. We are glad to see that this home will continue to be a great part of our Plymouth history for years to come.

MarySeelyDavis

Historic Photo of Mary Davis from the Daniel Sabo Collection

905 Penniman Ave

2 Aug

905Penniman

905 Penniman. Built Circa 1886. This home stands at the South West corner of Penniman and Harvey Street. This place once served as the home of Nettie Dibble who lived here for several years from the 1920s up until her passing in 1944. Nettie was quite active in the community and also Authored “History of the Presbyterian Church in Plymouth” and “Historical Data of Plymouth Twp”. At one time this home was completely covered in siding which covered the brick work. In 1991 this home was remodeled and the siding was removed to reveal the hidden bricks by the current owners Dubois-Cooper Associates who now use this as a commercial office.

498 Farmer Street

1 Aug

498FarmerSt

498 Farmer St. Built in 1914. Originally the Alter Motor Car Company.Built right along train tracks, this factory sits right across the street from the Plymouth Cultural Center. Alter Motors built over 1000 cars from 1914-1916. At one time the factory employed 100 workers and produced 25 cars per day. This building was wonderfully restored inside and out by the current owners: the C.D. Sparling Company. To see the last known Alter Car, be sure to stop by the Plymouth Historical Museum where they have one of these great cars on display. For additional historical information about the Alter Motor Car Company, be sure to check out www.AlterMotorCar.com

Click the photos below to view a larger image: AlterCar2MenAlterCardAd

AlterCarFactoryPicAlterCarInterior

1107 W. Ann Arbor Trail

27 Jul

1107WAnnArborTrl

1107 W. Ann Arbor Trail. Built 1861. Originally the home of Cassius Kellogg, Son of Plymouth Pioneer John Kellogg. Much of the land that now makes up the City of Plymouth was once owned by the Kellogg Family. The “Village Green” which we know as Kellogg Park in Downtown Plymouth was actually donated to the City by the Kellogg Family. The site which this home sits on was also said to have been a ceremonial site for local Native Americans.

UPDATE: As of 10/14/2016 We are sad to report that this home was lost to “progress”. Although this home was in great shape and well cared for, it was sold to a contractor and razed in order to built 2 new homes in its place.

If you would like to help prevent additional lose of historic homes in Plymouth, we encourage you to follow the Plymouth Preservation Network on facebook and be informed about other homes which may be threatened or things you may be able to do to help.

Mayflower Hotel Site

16 Jul

400SMainStreet

This post is quite different from any of our previous posts because of the fact that that it highlights a building that is not very historic yet is a corner that is rich in Plymouth’s history. It has been our discovery that this page receives many searches for the Historic Mayflower Hotel and we were quite surprised to find that there are many people who are still unaware that the Mayflower no longer stands. 827 W. Ann Arbor Trail was home to the Mayflower Hotel from 1927 through 1999. The Hotel was razed in 2000 and is now the home of Mayflower Centre which consists of both retail spaces and condominiums. This was the location where Plymouth’s first home was built by Plymouth Pioneers William and Kezia Starkweather in 1825. Although Plymouth’s first home was more of a primitive shelter, it was still a home and this South West corner of Main Street and Ann Arbor Trail is where it all began. Today there are still “remains” of the Mayflower. Directly across Main Street, the former Mayflower Meeting House still stands and is now home to a Banquet Facility and office spaces. The Mayflower’s later addition (Mayflower II) still stands at 471 S. Main Street and operates as the Mayflower Motor Inn.

Here is verbiage from an old post card dated 1986 of the Mayflower:

100 room historic, family-operated hotel featuring Bed and Breakfast Full complimentary breakfast for overnight guests, at Main Street and Ann Arbor Trail, off I-275 and M-14, 25 minutes from Metro Airport, Ann Arbor, Detroit and Greenfield Village – Five minutes to Northville Downs Within walking distance of 150 unique shops, tree lined Kellogg Park and a movie theater – Banquet facilities up to 400 – Six meeting rooms – The Mayflower II rooms feature direct-dial phones, color TV, refrigerators, queen-size or double beds, individually controlled heating and cooling, Sprinkler system and smoke alarms – Deluxe rooms feature Kohler whirlpool bathtubs and king-sized beds

Below are some old images of the Hotel:

Mayflower1940s

Mayflower1970s

Mayflower1980s