Tag Archives: Holbrook

1090 N Holbrook

22 Jul

1090Holbrook

1090 N Holbrook Street, built circa 1850 on a stone foundation. This was once part of the Henry Holbrook estate which once was home to one of Plymouth’s earliest mills. The Greek Revival home next door (1142 Holbrook) was the main house on the property and this home was built to house other family members. It’s been said that this was once the home of one of Henry’s 3 daughters. In 1850 it was recorded that Henry’s estate was worth $16,500 which by today’s standard would be just over a half-million dollars. This home was remodeled in 1922 to the current appearance that you see today. After nearly 170 years, it’s awesome to see this home is still standing strong. The current owners are proud of it’s rich Plymouth history and have done a great job keeping this home preserved.

Note: If you look closely to the left of the photo, you can see the yellow exterior walls of the well-known “Holbrook House”.

1071 N. Holbrook

5 Sep

1071NHolbrookStreet

1071 N Holbrook. Built in 1898. This home is one of just a handful of houses in Plymouth’s Old Village that was built of all brick. This home was built by one of the very first successful business owners in this part of town. Andrew Jackson Lapham owned a substantial portion of the block bordered by Holbrook, Wilcox, Pearl and N Mill Streets and at one time had two store structures and two homes on his land. This home had replaced the wooden house that Andrew built in 1873. Lapham’s General store was very popular in the late 1800’s because of its close proximity to the Plymouth Mill, the Phoenix Mill and Gunsolly Mill. Growers would trade in their raw materials at the mills and head to Lapham’s to purchase all types of needed goods. Lapham’s also had an Ice house on the property where they would store ice that formed in Wilcox Lake in the winter and sell it through the year. In 1929 this home was deeded to Andrew’s Daughter Helen Shackleton and was kept in the family for many years.  Although it’s showing signs of its age being well over a century old, this home still stands strong and maintains a great deal of history within the walls of this structure. Today the old stores no longer stand on this property but other homes built by the Lapham & Shackleton family still exist in this part of town and descendants of Andrew still live here in town and surrounding areas.

Historic photo of this home, Lapham’s General Store and of Andrew Lapham provided by the Andrew’s Great Grand Daughter: Janet Millross Renwick. Photo below is Lapham’s General Store that was located on Holbrook right next to Andrew’s home. Look closely at the historic photo of the house and you can see the brick wall of the store. LaphamGenStoreHolbrookSt

Holbrook brick house (Lapham)

AndrewLapham

1034 York Street

28 Mar

1034YorkStreet

1034 York Street. Built in 1829 by Benajah Holbrook. Benajah was an older Brother of Henry Holbrook whom is the namesake of Holbrook Street which is within walking distance of this house. Benajah and his wife Barbara owned this property until his death in 1882. In 1882 this home was purchased by Charles Gentz. The Gentz family resided here for 40 years. At age 10 Frankie Gentz drowned in the stretch of Rouge River which runs behind this home. During a previous renovation of the property by the Norgrove Family, a tombstone for Frankie was found. Herbert & Leora Norgrove purchased this home in in 1944 and was owned by the family for 65 years. Today this home has been significantly modified and added on to. At the time of this photo, this home was undergoing updates.

1142 N. Holbrook Street

16 Jul

Image

1142 Holbrook St (at Wilcox Rd) Built circa 1835. Originally the home of Henry Holbrook. Holbrook was one of Plymouth’s earliest settlers that played a significant role in Plymouth history and owned the Plymouth Mill right behind this property. Henry was born in Massachusetts in 1808 and was married to Sarah who was born in New York in 1813. The Wilcox family purchased this home in 1870 with the Mill from Holbrook. The Wilcox’s ran the mill and a store to sell thier products. George Wilcox later purchased the Iconic Victorian home that sits across from Kellogg Park. A stone bearing the Wilcox name is still on the front lawn. Locally, many also know this home as the Guenther House. Harold Guenther served as Mayor of Plymouth.

Below is a historic photo of this home:

histwilcox