Archive | Uncategorized RSS feed for this section

511 N. Holbrook

14 Nov

511nholbrook

511 N. Holbrook built in 1867 by Henry Robinson. Henry was born in 1833 in England and immigrated to the US and chose to move to Detroit. In 1862 Henry joined the efforts of the Civil War and became a part of Company G of the Michigan 24th Infantry in the G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic). At age 30 he was actually the oldest in his regiment. In April of 1863 Henry received a disabling head injury from an exploding shell at Fitzhugh Crossings which was part of the Chancellorsville campaign during the war. After recovery, Henry served in the Veterans Reserve Corps and in 1865 was honorably discharged. After his discharge he moved back to Detroit and then chose to settle with his wife in Plymouth. When Henry and his wife Helen moved to Plymouth in 1867 they built their home at the corner of Holbrook and Caster Street where they raised 4 Kids (William, Herbert, Helen, & Marion). Henry and his family can be found resting in the Riverside Cemetery. We are happy to see that the home of this Civil War Soldier is still standing strong and is an attractive asset in “Old Village” Plymouth.

505 McKinley St

14 Jun

505McKinley

505 McKinley St. Built in 1940 by Mr. & Mrs. Robert O. Wesley. Mr. Wesley was the Sales and Advertising Manager of the Daisy Air Rifle Company. When this home was built it was featured in the Detroit News’ Sunday Paper in 1940 and had nearly a full page describing all the details and descriptions of the home and each room. The article featured interior and exterior photos and was described as a “modern adaptation of an American farmhouse”. This home is located in the Hough Park neighborhood and was considered impressive in 1940 and today still maintains a look and appearance that is not only impressive but one to be admired. As a result of the Air Rifle industry in Plymouth, this home was built with a sense of class and ornate details that have been well preserved and is sure to be a great part of Plymouth’s history for years to come.

1940 photo, compliments of Karen Jallos: 505McKinley1940

304 N. Main St

31 May

304NMain

340 N. Main Street. Plymouth was once known as the “Air Rifle Capital of the World” and it all started here: This building was originally the Markham Air Rifle Company. Markham started making BB Guns in 1886. The modern day BB gun was invented/developed here in Plymouth, MI by Markham (2 yrs prior to Daisy). Markham Air Rifle was the supplier of BB guns to one of the Nation’s largest toy companies. The demand for BB Guns became so popular that the Plymouth Iron Windmill company changed it’s name to Daisy and started making Air Rifles themselves. In 1916 Daisy Air Rifle acquired controlling interest and in 1928 Markham was renamed King Air Rifle. This structure is the largest commercial all brick building in Plymouth. Today this building now houses office space and has a restaurant on the first floor.

Additional info: Founder William F. “Philip” Markham also built the iconic white Victorian home that sits in the center of town across from Kellogg Park which is most known today as the “Wilcox House”.

Below is a photo of the Markham building before the SW section was torn down.

MarkhamAirRifle

650 Church Street

11 May

650Church

650 Church Street. Built in 1917 on property that was donated by Senator E.J. Penniman (who lived down the street).  The original High School built on this property in 1884 burned down in 1916. This served as Plymouth High School until 1970, this building then served as Central Middle School until 2015. This Plymouth treasure has served thousands of students and generations of families. Within these walls the education of so many occurred, many who went on to be Business owners, Authors, Attorneys, Doctors, Mayors, Teachers, War Heroes and so many more who have served our community and beyond. Today this beloved building now serves the community as PARC (Plymouth Arts & Recreation Complex).  Today we are able to enjoy the benefits of this historic structure due to the efforts of countless volunteers and people like Don Soenen and Mark & Patricia Malcolm. We highly encourage checking out all the new renovations and all the activities, programs, and organizations that are available to serve a number of interests. Be sure to check their web site at www.plymouthparc.com

Below is a photo of Plymouth High School as it appeared in the 1950s

PlymouthHS1160

291 Spring Street

20 Mar

 

291Spring

291 Spring Street. Plymouth’s oldest Church structure. Built circa 1838 was originally a Baptist Church located on Mill Street. In 1855 this church structure was purchased and moved to this location by the newly formed German Lutheran Church which was organized with the help of German Immigrant and local business owner, Peter Gayde. Plymouth’s Old Village area was once the home of many German immigrants and this church was bustling with activity years ago. One of Plymouth’s oldest Cemeteries is located a short walk near the church. Old clapboards are hidden below the more modern siding but it still sits on a field stone foundation and most of the current parishioners have no idea of its extensive Plymouth history. Take a walk inside and you’ll likely be mesmerized by the exquisite stained glass windows which actually bare the names of some well-known people from Plymouth’s past. Today this Church is now the Church of Christ West and is virtually hidden behind Starkweather school. This is one of Plymouth’s great treasures that most people know very little about. As you can see in the historic photo below, the steeple is about the only thing that has seen any significant change through the years.

Historic photo from turn of the century (1900) time period. Photo (below) courtesy of the Plymouth Historical Museum.

GermanLutheranChurch

Paranormal Plymouth Video 2015

29 Oct

Just in time for Halloween, we took our first attempt at creating a video for your enjoyment. Although this was an unscripted video, the historical facts about each location are quite true. Just click below to watch the video:

Plymouth’s Historic Roundhouse Remains

15 Oct

DSC00121

Plymouth’s historic Roundhouse Remains. Built in 1921 by the Pere Marquette Railroad. Plymouth is one of the few communities that actually has both a North/South and East/West set of Railroad lines running through it. In the late 1800s and early 1900s Plymouth was a very busy Railroad community not only with the Train traffic but also many local residents worked for the Railroad. There have been 2 prior roundhouses built before 1921 that were razed several years ago. The location where the tracks intersect with each other is referred to by many as a Diamond. In 1921 the Pere Marquette Railroad built a 15 stall roundhouse at the North East quadrant of the diamond (where Pearl Street in Old Village comes to an end). The prior roundhouse once sat at the South West quadrant of the diamond (where Junction Street comes to an end). In 1990 it was reported that the 15 stall roundhouse had been demolished and many people in our community have thought it was completely gone forever. We have discovered that a piece of that 15 stall roundhouse still stands. Please keep in mind that this structure is NOT on public property therefore is punishable with a fine up to $5000 by CSX Railroad if you are caught on the property where this building stands.

Below (left) is a photo of the Pere Marquette 15 stall roundhouse. The smaller photo on the right is of the older Roundhouse that once stood at the South West quadrant of the RR intersection.

PereMarquetteRoundhousePlymouth12115604_10207322470557000_5191869807807494713_n