Archive | Penniman Ave RSS feed for this section

939 Penniman Ave

23 Jul

939Penniman

939 Penniman Ave. Built in 1893 by Joel Kellogg (Son of Plymouth Pioneer, John Kellogg) constructed this home for his Daughter Jennie as a wedding gift. In 1898 the home was purchased by Oscar Huston who was known for being the proprietor of Huston Hardware store on Penniman Avenue. In 1929 this home was deeded to Austin and Ruth (Huston) Whipple. In 1940 Ruth Whipple became the first Woman Mayor of Plymouth and the first female Mayor in the State of Michigan.

Image

838-846 Penniman Ave

28 Feb

838-846Penniman

836-846 Penniman Ave. Built Circa 1893. Look closely, there’s a historic home hidden within these walls. This was actually the residence of Dr. Coleman who was a family practitioner. In the early 1920’s this home was moved up closer to the street from its original spot (farther back) by builder John Patterson. Patterson built the commercial brick façade that made Dr. Coleman’s old house virtually unrecognizable. When the initial makeover was completed, this location became home to Pettingale’s Grocery store which was well known in the community for several years. When you look behind this building you can still see significant parts of Dr. Coleman’s old home.

DSC01144

1103 Penniman Ave

1 Jul

1103 Penniman. Built in 1895 by Michael Conner who was the owner of Conner Hardware. Michael also served as the Plymouth Village President. The Conner hardware building is located on the NW corner of Main & Penniman. Unfortunately Mr. Conner passed away in 1896 but his family continued to lived here for many years.

Image

676 Penniman Ave – Markham-Wilcox House

27 Jun

WilcoxHome

676 Penniman Avenue. Built in 1901 by William (Phil) Markham, Owner of the Markham Air Rifle Factory which still stands at 340 N. Main St. Today this home still bares a Penniman address although the street no longer crosses the front of this home. This Iconic Queen Ann Style fixture of downtown Plymouth was originally built as a home for Markham’s young mistress, Blanche Shortman. Markham’s Wife Carrie refused to divorce because of her strong Christian beliefs. Carrie passed away in 1910 and Markham married his mistress Blanche. These actions were met with outrage by the locals that the newlyweds were shunned. Blanche could hardly bare the public persecution that the decision was made to leave town and move out West. In 1911 Markham placed an ad in the “Plymouth Mail” stating the sale of his home. The home was purchased by George Wilcox. This home was owned by the Wilcox family for nearly 90 years. Today this home is being used for commercial purposes.

Visit this page for more historical info:  http://www.wilcoxfoundation.org/history-of-the-wilcox-house.html

Wilcox70s

1496 Penniman Ave

27 Jun

1496 Penniman (@ Sheldon Rd) Built circa 1832. This home sat on the South West Corner of Gideon Durfee’s 80 Acre farm property. This historic Gothic Revival home is blended with modern technology, when viewing this home from Sheldon Rd you can’t miss the solar panels on the West facing roof.

Image

844 Penniman Ave

27 Jun

 

Image

884 Penniman Ave. Built in the mid 1890’s. Once the home of John Gale who used to own a drug store on the corner of Main & Penniman. This former residence is now home to the Plymouth Coffee Bean, a great place to enjoy a cup of Joe. http://www.plymouthcoffeebean.com/

Below is a historic photo of the home prior to the current modifications:

H844Penniman

932 Penniman Ave

26 Jun

932Penniman

932 Penniman. Built in 1903, Once the home of Dr & Mrs Harrison Nichols.  now serves as top notch Bed & Breakfast. http://www.bbonline.com/united-states/michigan/plymouth/penniman.html  http://www.facebook.com/pages/932-Penniman-A-Bed-and-Breakfast/111883922180962?sk=info