Archive | Ann Arbor Trail RSS feed for this section

46645 W. Ann Arbor Trail

20 Jul

46645AnnArbor - Copy

46645 W. Ann Arbor Trail. Built by Moses Allen in 1842. The property where this home was originally built was purchased by Moses Allen in 1829. Today the property that Moses Allen purchased and built this house on is now the Plymouth Township Park. Moses originally built a smaller one story home but in 1847 he sold the property to his Son John Allen. John added onto this house and expanded it to a larger two story house. John Allen passed away in 1872 but his family continued to live in the house into the early 1900’s. By the early 1970’s this home had become a run-down condemned structure. The original plan was to tear this house down and make way for the park. Doug Cash, a local landscaper felt that this home had historical significance and couldn’t imagine seeing this house become a pile of rubble. Doug offered to purchase this house from the Township but officials refused to sell it to him and had hired a company to tear it down. Because the Township hired a company to demolish or remove this house, Mr. Cash offered the company money to not tear down the home and have it moved to property he purchased right across the street. Doug was met with several obstacles from the Township who wanted to see the home disappear. Mr. Cash went to Lansing and recruited the help of the State Historical Society to save the home. After fighting through several obstacles with local government, Doug finally prevailed and invested so much of his time and money to not only save this home but to also restore this house and make it into the wonderfully preserved house that it is today.

711 Ann Arbor Trail

6 Dec

Image

711 Ann Arbor Trail. Built Circa 1889 by Charles Miller. This Tudor Revival style house is most known for serving as the home and office of Doctor Luther Peck. Doctor Peck was born in 1880 and moved to Plymouth in 1904. He originally lived in a home that once stood at the South East corner of Ann Arbor Trail and Deer Street. This home sits at the South West corner of that that same intersection. Doctor Peck purchased this home in 1920 and passed away here in his house in 1963. Luther was known for being a colorful physician and there are still members of our community that can claim that he brought them into this world. Although this house has seen many modern changes, it still retains the original structure that sits on a stone foundation. Today this home is used for commercial purposes.

1279 W. Ann Arbor Trail

1 Jul

1279 W. AnnArbor Trail. Built by Timothy Moss in 1827. Although it’s seen some major modifications, this is one of Plymouth’s oldest homes. This house was renovated in the 60’s to it’s current appearance.

Image

41358 Ann Arbor Trail

27 Jun

41358 Ann Arbor Trail, once home to Ambrose Burr (one of Plymouth’s 1st Pioneers) was built around 1845. The home was remodeled in 1930 by Burt Tomlinson. The exterior bares little resemblance to it’s original clapboards & shutters appearance. *House under renovations at the time of photo

Image

587 West Ann Arbor Trail

27 Jun

587 W. Ann Arbor Trail. Built in 1928. This building was purchased by Dean Saxton about 1937 and has been a fixture in Plymouth since then. The addition was added in the late 40’s. Saxton’s sold commercial & residential lawn care equipment and tools. It is unfortunate to see the doors close 10/31/2012. Today this property is owned by the Plymouth Downtown Development Authority.

Image

39505 East Ann Arbor Trail

27 Jun

39505 East Ann Arbor Trail. Built in the 1860’s. Behind the shroud of trees there is a beautiful farm house begging to be noticed. This home was once owned by Harry Ayers who had raised Cattle and even had an Orchard. He named this “Hope Farm”.

Image